Re: Ricochet/Metricom

2001-02-09 20:50:02
On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 06:51:26PM -0800, James P. Salsman wrote:
Slashdot has an interesting thread on the 128 kbps wide-area wireless
internet service offered by Ricochet/Metricom:

Since I last reported on this list, they have apparently reduced their
round-trip times from 1/2 s to about 1/5 s.

So, that would make even synchronous voice passable.  Why shouldn't
this kind of service phase out cell-phones in the next few years?

        Ask that question in July.  That should be about a month
after Riocochet is due to run out of cash.

        http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2683889,00.html

        I don't disagree with the technical point, but someone has to
make it commercially viable.

        Actually, Metricom sounds like they are in good shape, even if
Ricochet is is not.

Cheers,
James

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw(_at_)WittsEnd(_dot_)com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/