Re: Congressional hearings

2001-02-09 23:30:03
Jay and all,

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 11:23:13PM -0600, Andy Gardner wrote:
At 08:13 PM 2/9/2001, JandL wrote:
How about Vint Cerf's comment that the internet was not designed
for more than a single root?

He said the DNS, not "the Internet".  The difference is considerable.

Excuse me, but DNS works fine with multiple roots. If I want to use a root
server of my choice, giving me a subset or superset of the ICANN root, I am
quite able, technically and otherwise, to do so.

Doing so does not affect anyone or anything else in any sense, technical or
otherwise. Thus DNS _is_ designed for more than a single root.

Well, actually, *DNS* is designed to deal with a single root.  That it
can be pointed to any of several independent roots is transparent to
DNS, which is a sign of good engineering.

Let's not let our disaffection for ICANN cloud our technical arguments,
shall we?

  Again Jay, we are in agreement here.  Dave Crocker is suggesting that
IETF RFC's are authoritative.  The one's that he suggests are out of date
as well.   Let us not also forget that RFC's are "Requests For Comment",
not standards.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth
jra(_at_)baylink(_dot_)com

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1(_at_)ix(_dot_)netcom(_dot_)com