Re: Why XML is perferable

2001-02-22 23:40:04

Wang Xianzhu wrote:

to render XML documents to pure text presentation.  There will be
                                                            ^^^^^^^
converters from XML to HTML, ms word, ps, pdf and any other types of
presentation, suitable for any type of readers.

Meanwhile I stick with ASCII, which I can grep, cut & paste.

Also I don't think it will be at all practical to drive email
discussions
for ietf drafts if we have to start using XML/HTML/SGML/*ML crap.

BTW, there are RFCs (1125, 1129, etc.) only available in ps format, and some
provided both text and ps versions.  ASCII text is not enough to describe
information.

Well it worked fine for 2800+ documents and how many today ?
implementations
of tcp/ip protocols running on how many devices ?

I wonder if anyone can write a readable pure text version of ITU-T P.861.

What P.861 {Objective quality measurement of telephone-band (300-3400
Hz)
speech codecs} has to do with tcp/ip and rfc's ???

BTW, I hate to pay for ITU documents what are supposed to be public (I
still
remember the years old discussion when they ceased to exist available
for anon ftp)

Regards
Jorge.