Re: Multicast

2001-03-07 16:30:02

Okay, so signed applets work? Good.

Thanks,
Greg

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

Greg;

The multicast test button we wrote :

http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
http://www.on-the-i.com/mt/test_ns.html

is a Java applet, and it joins a group.

The secret was in getting the right certificates and authorizations. This
seems to still be the problem with the Mac.

Marshall

Greg Shepherd wrote:

Why?  Poor client support springs to mind.  I've always wanted to
have someone throw together a web page that downloads a Java applet
equivalent to vic/vat/rat/etc., joins the right group, and puts content
into the face of the clicker, perhaps for a fee.  However, in the absence
of compelling content (sadly we don't have Vint to strip for us :) ), I
haven't suggested that this be a priority.

I often thought of the same, but the current Java Applet security model
prevents applets from joining mcast groups; or at least did last I looked.

Greg

Also, not all routers at/near the edge can even do native multicast...

      Sean.

P.S.: A long time ago there was a very interesting discussion (probably
      on NANOG) involving Vadim Antonov and many others; the argument
advanced by Vadim's side (include me here) is, roughly, that if you
consider
multicast to be a degenerate form of caching, where the cache is purged
immediately after servicing the implicit cache requests made by the
listeners who have joined below the current router, then native multicast,
particularly reliable native multicast, is being approached in
fundamentally
the wrong fashion.  In other words, rolling (maybe short term) content
caching into (some) routers is likely to be a more useful generalized
service than deploying actual native multicast, all while being able
to reuse some join/prune, SA and RPF state handling to optimize the
"network-based Content Distribution Network" (to use a set of buzzwords).

--

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410