Re: rfc publication suggestions

2001-03-13 06:50:02
Fred> the  most  common  hold-up  that   I  see  is  a  wait  for  normative
Fred> references. That held the MPLS documents up for a year.

This  is  not exactly  true.   In  a number  of  cases,  the documents  were
explicitly crafted to have only non-normative references to internet-drafts,
but when  the documents reached the  RFC Editor's queue,  all the references
were mysteriously declared to be normative.  Questions about this mysterious
reinterpretation just went  unanswered.  My suspicion is that  this has more
to do with the overload on the IESG members than anything else.

Another source  of delay was  the tendency of  IESG comments to  dribble in.
Just as the documents were about to  be sent to the RFC editor, another IESG
member would  have a  comment.  By  and large, the  IESG comments  were very
reasonable, but  for a  long time  it seemed like  the review  process would
never end.   Again, overload on the  IESG members is  likely responsible for
this.