Re: bandwidth (and other support) required for multicast

2001-03-30 14:40:03
RJ Atkinson wrote:

At 12:12 30/03/01, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

With h.261/pcm and mpeg-1 you should be able to implement a client for
your platform of choice without stomping on someone elses IP to hard, in
practice clients are already available for most platforms, or can be built
there with a modicum of effort.

Open standards is a fine thing, but you have to have some implementations
and common use before it really matters.

Can't argue there. but we do have the implementations.

        Precisely what is the URL for the Solaris/SPARC
implementation, so I can download it and play with it ?
Or did you mean to say that "we have PC implementations" ?

There are Solaris/Linux/FreeBSD RTSP client implementations in progress,
using rat and vic (which do work fine on SPARC Solaris, among other Unix
platforms) as clients. Should be available by the end of May. One of the
Java SDKs also has relevant implementations for Solaris, but obviously
no complete client. I'm sure there are others; a quick search at
sourceforge shows a bunch of promising things, e.g., using MPEG1
(popCorn).

--
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs