Re: bandwidth (and other support) required for multicast

2001-03-30 10:20:03

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Ole J. Jacobsen wrote:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Keith Moore wrote:

Why aren't we using something like a RealAudio stream?

please no.  PowerPoint is bad enough.  the last thing we need is
another thing to bias IETF away from open systems.

Last I checked, the basic player is free, and implementations exists for
all the major platforms, which would put it on par with PDF/Acrobat reader
in my book.

Free as in beer. It's heavily encumbered with Intelectual Property, and
liscensing issues. try and get a non-back-channel multicast liscense from
real for anything other than your intranet.

With h.261/pcm and mpeg-1 you should be able to implement a client for
your platform of choice without stomping on someone elses IP to hard, in
practice clients are already available for most platforms, or can be built
there with a modicum of effort.

Open standards is a fine thing, but you have to have some implementations
and common use before it really matters.

Can't argue there. but we do have the implementations.

And let's not forget what the
goal was: allow people to remotely participate (for some value of
"participate").

Ole

Joel Jaeggli
joelja(_at_)darkwing(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu
Academic User Services
consult(_at_)gladstone(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.