RE: New idea in TCP

2001-04-02 21:50:02

-----Original Message-----
From: #PATHIK GUPTA#
To: 'R.Z. Pan'
Sent: 4/2/01 5:35 PM
Subject: RE: New idea in TCP

Hi,

The HTTP protocol is a protocol layer that resides on top of the TCP
layer. In a 4 layered TCP/IP stack, it resides on the 4 layer which is
the application layer. What you are suggesting is to provide a
functionality available in a application layer into the Transport layer.
If this is done, then the whole concept of layered architecture becomes
useless. Also think about that extra bit the TCP has to carry always
even if it is not used.
Now a days, big companies like Cisco are talking about layer 4 switching
which has the idea of Load balancing etc at the TCP layer (4 layer of
OSI). but that requires that the end router be configured to examine the
TCP layer to get the type of protocol and the urgency of that
protocol(RTP may be more urgent that HTTP or something like that). SO
the end router in that way perform the load balancing by polling the
servers and routing packets accordingly.

Regards
Pathik Gupta