Re: Caching/Prefetching

2001-04-10 11:40:02

Michael,

Prefetching is isn't something that's standardized; there's a coherence
model in the HTTP, but it only specifies server- and client-directed
cache freshness, while leaving the determiniation of heuristic
freshness up to implementations.

Prefetching might be thought of as a further, somewhat orthoganal,
optimisation over heuristic freshness algorithms. As such, there
isn't any work surrounding it in the IETF (or other standards bodies,
as far as I'm aware), and there isn't likely to be, IMHO.

OTOH, I imagine that a patent search would show some results, as at
least one vendor claims to do it well. Additionally, prefetching has
been the topic of many a research paper, much as optimal Web cache
replacement algorithms have been.

The best place to start for more information would probably be:
  http://www.cs.wpi.edu/~webbib/