Re: SOAP/XML Protocol and filtering, etc.

2001-05-08 10:10:02
From: Mark Nottingham <mnot(_at_)akamai(_dot_)com>

such as that it's a good idea to use XML for everything, or that it's a good
idea to layer new protocols on top of HTTP.

Ah, diplomacy at its finest. ;)

I didn't intend for the issues to be debated cross-group on the main
IETF list; a better forum would be the xml-dist-app(_at_)w3(_dot_)org list,
which is archived and explained at
  http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/

I'm confused.  Either this is an IETF issue and so can only be debated
on IETF lists, or it has nothing to do with the IETF and shouldn't have
been brought here.  My guess was the second alternative, but people said
that SOAP involves changing HTTP, and the IETF owns HTTP.  If that is
true, than the a W3.org list would be wrong.  Worse, this whole exercise
could be seen as an attempt to co-opt the IETF's approval for a change
to an IETF protocol without letting IETF know what's going on.