Re: Can employers forbid you from talking about IETF activities?

2001-05-30 08:10:02
I believe the reason many companies have "interesting" rules here is experience from the past - when a person speaking to the press would have his words interpreted as being a spokesman for their company, either revealing things that were intended to be hidden or promising things the company does not want to commit to.

Preferring to err on the safe side, many companies would rather have their press spokesmen speaking to the press.

(Cisco permits me to speak openly about IETF matters, but when it comes to saying what Cisco thinks of things or intends to do about things, I am under strict orders to refer to an appropriate spokesperson. So this is strictly my opinion, and is not in any way related to what Cisco thinks - if it thinks about it at all)

                    Harald