Re: Can employers forbid you from talking about IETF activities?

2001-05-30 09:50:02
  *>
  *> From:  pete(_at_)loshin(_dot_)com
  *> To:  ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
  *> Date:  Wed, 30 May 2001 08:20:26 -0400
  *>
  *> >I write about IETF-related topics for a number of publications and
websites.
  *> >Most IETF participants are incredibly helpful and responsive when I ask
them
  *> >questions about the work they are doing, particularly authors of RFCs and
I-Ds.
  *> >
  *> >However, there are (infrequent) exceptions, usually employees of large
  *> >companies who believe that their contracts forbid them from speaking to
the
  *> >press, under any circumstances. These folks usually say something like,
"My
  *> >company won't allow me to say anything about the RFC I wrote" and refer
me to
  *> >their public relations staff.

Sounds to me like a GREAT way to get rid of annoying press members, who
take your time, don't listen, and then write articles that are
deliberately sensationalistic (which they think sells mags) and short
on facts.  I can understand using the "company" as a convenient way
to avoid this unpleasantness.

Bob Braden