Re: 2 interfaces on same subnet

2001-06-01 09:40:05

John Stracke wrote:

Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

On Thu, 31 May 2001 17:40:53 +0300,
EXT-Faycal(_dot_)Hadjiat(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com  said:
I search why we can't have two ethernet interfaces(with different IP
address
of course) on the same subnet?
I know it's impossible but why?

It's not impossible.  It's just often difficult to do it *right*.

Is it that useful? It'd boost reliability, but would it boost performance? If
you've got a card that can keep up with the wire, then you don't have any
bottlenecks that having two cards would solve.

If they're sitting on a switched links, having two cards can
increase throughput (if the host can handle it).

Also, there are some (older, or based on older technology) systems
that can't quite handle aliasing properly. Using multiple interfaces
can be the only way to effectively do aliasing on those systems.

Joe