RE: Can employers forbid you from talking about IETF activities?

2001-06-01 10:30:03
I clearly remember the first IETF meeting I attended back
in December 1992 (in Washington DC). During the plenary
(bad timing on my part) I mentioned the desirability of
being able to consult with our corporations' before
taking important votes, err, I should have to written
"loud hummings". Shortly thereafter, I found myself
surrounded by maybe 12 angry people, some of them
intimidatingly large, who reiterated the abuse I
had just publicly endured for my comment, but
this time doing it up close and personal. For the
uninitiated, Brian's point below pretty much
summarizes the way things are OFFICIALLY in the IETF.

The IETF has every right to assert that attendees
represent only themselves while participating in
IETF functions. This is a noble goal that should be
cherished. Unfortunately, the news media, the "average"
readers of trade rags, and the policies of many
companies (including my employer) often have a very
different understanding: we represent our companies
in any public, technical forum paid for by our
employer, regardless of whether that forum chooses
to recognize our representation or not. The extent by
which our activities and public statements are tailored
by this representation varies considerably from company
to company, even in the IETF, despite the noble
principles by which the IETF is run. However, even
those who are unencumbered by such oversight and policies
are hopefully not so naive as to believe that their
decorum and the quality of their participation does not
reflect on their employer.