Re: pinging problem

2001-06-11 00:50:02

Dear Vijayendra,

I may be wrong, but I think you are looking for simpler answers than the ones I
have seen on the list. If this is a simple problem for IP beginners the
questions are:

A) Can machines with diferent subnet mask but on the same addressing space ping
eachother?

     YES. Cases 1 and 2 should ping eachother even with that "unproper"
addressing scheme.

B) Should routers route the private addressing spaces?

     NO. Case 3 should not ping eachother because routers do not route private
addresses. (On real implementacion, there are configuration parameter to
overrule this as Jorge explained.)

Vijayendra Sharma <vijayendra-sharma(_at_)usa(_dot_)net> con fecha 09/06/2001
02:30:29 PM

Destinatarios: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
CC:      (cci: Joaquin Rivera Rodriguez/TDC)
Asunto: pinging problem

Hello sir,
   Can you help me with this problem,
 Will machines A and B able to ping eachother,

      A                                B
1)192.168.0.1/16-----Hub------192.168.0.2/24

2)192.168.0.1/16-----Switch------192.168.0.2/24

3)192.168.0.1/16-----Router------192.168.0.2/24

 i will be helpful to you, if you can help me in anyway.
regards,
    Vijayendra.