RE: pinging problem

2001-06-11 03:30:02
No problem using private addressing scheeme on VPNs (Virtual Private
Networks)!
On this unreal case, the question is the choice of the subnetzero (the first
subnet should be avoided) and the mask.

-----Original Message-----
From: joaquin(_dot_)riverarodriguez(_at_)telefonica-data(_dot_)com
[mailto:joaquin(_dot_)riverarodriguez(_at_)telefonica-data(_dot_)com]
Sent: 11 June 2001 08:46 fr
To: Vijayendra Sharma
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: pinging problem

Dear Vijayendra,

I may be wrong, but I think you are looking for simpler answers than the
ones I
have seen on the list. If this is a simple problem for IP beginners the
questions are:

A) Can machines with diferent subnet mask but on the same addressing space
ping
eachother?

     YES. Cases 1 and 2 should ping eachother even with that "unproper"
addressing scheme.

B) Should routers route the private addressing spaces?

     NO. Case 3 should not ping eachother because routers do not route
private
addresses. (On real implementacion, there are configuration parameter to
overrule this as Jorge explained.)

Vijayendra Sharma <vijayendra-sharma(_at_)usa(_dot_)net> con fecha 09/06/2001
02:30:29
PM

Destinatarios: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
CC:      (cci: Joaquin Rivera Rodriguez/TDC)
Asunto: pinging problem

Hello sir,
   Can you help me with this problem,
 Will machines A and B able to ping eachother,

      A                                B
1)192.168.0.1/16-----Hub------192.168.0.2/24

2)192.168.0.1/16-----Switch------192.168.0.2/24

3)192.168.0.1/16-----Router------192.168.0.2/24

 i will be helpful to you, if you can help me in anyway.
regards,
    Vijayendra.