Fwd: RE: WG Review: Open Pluggable Edge Services (opes)

2001-06-20 10:20:02
Attempting to resend as plaintext per request. Sorry for the extraneous format code.

Interesting discussion.  Couple of thoughts:

The use of words such as right and wrong or good an bad applied to the engineering seem a bit premature, as the "engineering" work doesn't yet exist. It would be more intellectually honest to say that the end goal of the proposed work does not match your value system, which itself may not match the value system of others on this list.

It appears that there are four interests at work here: that of the network owner, the content provider, the content user, and the middleman. The role of the middleman may or may not be useful from the perspective of the other three. Whether and how the middleman is used may/should involve the explicit knowledge and consent of the other three interested parties. The network provider may not want his network abused by the traffic it carries, the content provider may want control over how it is displayed, the user may want control over what is presented or not. I would require that the roles and relationships be detectable and allow all possible relationship combinations. In the end the market will determine what works and what doesn't (good/bad).

I have not seen where layering has been violated, as these all seem to be occurring in the application layer above the core network layers and thus end-to-end. If I have misunderstood this, then please explain to me how email is end-to-end.

Perhaps a set of objectives would help clarify/constrain the solution to an acceptable end-result. It might also be useful to describe some of the potential middlemen and their functions that would be "good" to have, as well as some potentail "bad" ones and how they can be mitigated.

Mike