Need to do architecture. ???

2001-06-25 22:10:02

----- Original Message -----
From: "RJ Atkinson" <rja(_at_)inet(_dot_)org>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: I am *NOT* a believer in the democratic process.

It would be A Public Service if someone would setup
a separate mailing list elsewhere for this thread so that
we could return the IETF list to a normal mode.

Perhaps the new list could be named "ietf-politics",
just to make the list's topics clear to all.

ftp://ftp.iab.org/in-notes/IAB/IABmins/IABmins.010508
12. IAB role/responsibilities

Revisiting our role -- we're not an IESG oversight committee; we're
not a politics body (no, really).

Need to do architecture.  Need to reach across layers/boundaries
(which is sometimes hard; goes against grain).  Perhaps the IAB
could be the provoker of activities like writing up the APPS
architecture, getting cross-pollination to happen.

Harald:  what is the picture that makes the pieces of architecture
we're asked to develop hang together?

Discussion has been interesting.  Should follow-up on it; perhaps
as an in-person discussion?  Ran suggests we could talk about
it in London, with a certain amount of pre-planning.  London is
a long time off, so we'll attempt to pursue on e-mail, as well.

----------

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com
Mars 128n 128e