RE: [Tsvwg] pre-BOF discussion

2001-06-28 23:40:04
Hi Michael,

I would like to start a discussion to gauge interest in
possibly having a BOF (note that nothing has been decided yet -
but starting with a mailing list and a web site seems to be a
good idea) at the London IETF meeting.

The topic is "ABR to the Internet" - in fact, it's "ABR Explicit Rate
Feedback related mechanisms for the Internet". To quote from
the web site:

The goal: A generic approach to ...
- identify relevant information
- propose a new protocol and/or changes to existing protocols
- propose ways to use specific information (endpoint behaviour)
  to achieve a certain QoS gain
Don't think of it as strictly ABR-like (requiring per flow state).
Think of it as ECN with a finer granularity.

This sounds like it could be part of the Next Steps in Signaling
work, that has been proposed as a working group.  I haven't
heard of any progress in that area.  Perhaps Allison M. is
putting something together for that.

br,
John