Re: Competing Domain-Name Registries Creating Tower of Cyber-Babel

2001-07-06 19:10:02
"R. A. Hettinga" wrote:

The punchline in all of this to me is that the aforementioned Tower was
created to *unite* language, names, if you will, not fractionate them.

Well, no. Before God got his dander up over humanity's hubris (chutzpah?) in
trying to build a tower that would reach heaven (Trump, Wright, et al., take
note), there was purportedly only one language on Earth. But in a Reaganesque
attempt to disorganize the workers, Our Oh-So-Irritable Father put an end to
that, inflicting a brutal blow against standards-based communication and
setting the scene for Esperanto, the Rosetta Stone, and Woody Allen's "What's
Up, Tiger Lily?"

But your point *is* well taken.

To mix a metaphor like a dead horse, people seem to be grabbing the wrong
end of the biblical nit, here...

Dead horses mix no metaphors. No matter which end you grab.

Apologies for the OT....

Cheers,
RAH

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: rah(_at_)ibuc(_dot_)com>

mark durham
writer and editor
mdurham(_at_)spandrel(_dot_)com