Re: Competing Domain-Name Registries Creating Tower of Cyber-Babel

2001-07-06 23:20:03
Paul Ebersman writes:

First, assuming that I (as a user of some service)
must reach a particular, unique machine is a geek
wish, not a requirement.

Who said anything about users of a service?  I want to reach my parents'
machine.  They are not geeks, and I am not looking for a "service."  Therefore I
must be able to address their machine unambiguously, and this means that their
machine (and mine, for that matter) must have a unique address.

The folks monitoring and maintaining the machines
need to be able to get unambiguously to that machine
but that is a great use of 1918 space.

Only fixed address spaces can be wasted.

Wasting public IP addresses one per machine when
there is no requirement seems to violate Anthony's
claimed concern about address space.

On the one hand, if you assign addresses sequentially, even a 32-bit address
space will last for some time.  On the other hand, if you do not use a fixed
address space, there can be no waste.  So my concern is not violated.

Anthony rails here about waste of fixed address
space yet advocates that in order for us to be
"pure", we must waste an IP address on every device
that we need to identify as "unique" on the Internet.
OK, which do you want?

You can have both, if you use a variable address space.

Better use of address space or a dictated waste of
address space for a dubious technical "need"?

See the telephone network for an example of how to have both.