European hotels, was Re: london hotel

2001-07-23 11:20:02
Being someone who resides in the US, hence does not have ISDN equipment for
my laptop, I tend to have difficulty dialing back home from hotel rooms.
(Someone has suggested I get an ISDN PCMCIA card, that's one open option.)
I have been able to dial home from some hotels, but not most.

What terminology would be understood by a desk clerk/manager at a hotel
with regards to the kind of telephone service they have?  At one hotel, the
system I could use was called the "AT&T" phones (vs. the ISDN phones).  At
another hotel, this wasn't the right terminology.

Also - there have been RJ-45 jacked phones that didn't work for me.  Is it
true that there is another phone standard I have forgotten about?

(Subtext: will I be able to dial back home from the IETF hotels, or will I
need to rely on the terminal "room?")

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis(_at_)tislabs(_dot_)com

You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.