Re: Attachment Stripped in Transaction

2001-08-01 07:00:07
--On Wednesday, 25 July, 2001 08:10 -0400 Robert Moskowitz
<rgm-ietf(_at_)HTT-CONSULT(_dot_)COM> wrote:

At 08:42 PM 7/24/2001 -0400, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

On the other hand, I could live with the filtering of active
content and executables (which is what the *real* problem is,
right?)

any attachments.  there is proof of concept now for rtf
trojans.

Hi.

As has been said many times before, text attachments are both
useful and reasonably safe.  At some stage, people have to take
some responsibility for what they are doing. We should not
deprive ourselves of useful tools we have designed and
standardized in order to accomodate those who won't take such
responsibility.

I could live with prohibiting almost anything else, but banning
multiple-body-part MIME messages where all of the terminal body
parts are plain text strikes me as pretty close to shooting
ourselves in the foot.

   john