Re: Any value in this list ?

2001-08-01 07:50:02
Jamal writes:

I dont see anything extraordinary in those claims.

You don't substantiate them, either.  This being so, they serve no purpose, as
rants against Microsoft are a dime a dozen on the Net--just about every young
male who isn't rich or has failed to get an instant offer from MS after sending
in his resume seems to hate the company.  And students often hate the company
just because they were indoctrinated that way by faculties that have the
not-rich/resume-rejected problem themselves.

If you really feel that Microsoft is doing these things, point us to the
evidence.

in regards to inferior products: i can site many
many things ...

Good.  I'm waiting.

would the fact that BSD is still running the show
at hotmail be sufficient proof to you ...

No.  Hotmail has had a custom-tweaked version of UNIX running for years (if I
recall correctly, the mailer software was specially modified for Hotmail so that
it could scale); most of it is gradually being moved to Windows and (possibly)
Exchange (although Exchange is poorly adapted to that kind of application), but
I'd be very surprised if all of it were entirely supported on Windows, just as I
know that it has never been supported with any out-of-the-box UNIX environment.
The scale is just too great for any canned solutions.

Would the fact that MVS is still the leading mainframe OS be proof to you of the
inferiority of UNIX?  What about the predominance of Windows on the desktop?

You'll have to do better than that.

... or would you need evidence in regards to
BoDs at airports and ATM machines when you try
to get some cash at 3am?

I've never seen one, but the mere fact that they are using Windows should tell
you something.  Traditionally, OS/2 has ruled in ATMs, but last I read of this,
Windows NT Workstation was making inroads into this market.  I don't recall any
UNIX presence at all, but I may be wrong.

You'll need to come up with something more than anecdotes.  Something that can
withstand analysis by an unemotional observer with no ax to grind.

in regards to havoc on the internet: Is the current
thread insufficient for you?

Yes.  It says nothing at all about Microsoft creating any havoc with anything.

Again i dont see any extraordinary about any of
those claims.

They are all subjective and useless rants without hard data to back them up, and
you haven't provided any hard data.