Re: Grazing the commons

2001-08-09 01:10:02
Randy writes:
"New" ISPs have sold multihoming to customers as a way to gain market
share against incumbents whenever they could

yup.  and they get the money.  but, since they neglected to put paying
the rest of us in the financial model, i presume they will excuse our
not spending our critical resources to aid their income.

life can be simple.

Pithy, but not salient.  "They" don't pay "us" to carry a new route
when "they" persuade Bob's Bait shop to join the 'net either; they
pay "us" (transit) or barter with "us" (peering) to carry the traffic,
not the route.  The route just enables "us" to get our slice of
the traffic pie.

The main point, though, remains that multi-homing customers do so to
achieve certain goals; they have, in essence made an investment to
that end and attempts to frustrate their desire to achieve those goals
will result in a much more prolonged game of whack a mole than we
really need.  Sure we can shift the filter boundary; if that is all we
do, people will just start wasting address space in order to achieve
their goals.  If we engineer a solution that enables them to achieve
their goals without blowing up the routing table the next five years
will pass a lot quicker.

                        regards,
                                Ted