Re: rfc 3030 comments...

2001-09-10 10:00:03
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:34:20 -0000, Franck Martin said:

I'm just reading the rfc 3030 you made. I have been looking around for
such protocol for large messages and I have been talking about it on the
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing list.

I think the RFC could be even greater if it would allow to send chunks
in separate sessions... Bigger will be the mail message, higher there
will be a session error or connection drop. Therefore you have to be
able to recover (like http and ftp protocol do)...

An extension to RFC3030 would be to have the server answering by a
session ID with chunking and to use this ID in following BDAT commands
in other sessions to recover from where the system left... Or other
means of recovery...

I've read over RFC1845 (SMTP Checkpoint/Restart), and it *seems* to do
what you want.  However, I'm cc:ing this to the IETF-SMTP list, in case
somebody with more knowledge of RFC3030 and 1845 can see if there's any
subtle interaction.  It *looks* like it should be OK, as per RFC1845
you are handed a '355 octet-offset is the transaction offset' before
you commmit to sending a 'BDAT nnnn' to start sending.

RFC1845 does say this:

   The SMTP canonical format for messages is used when this offset is
   computed.  Any octets added by any SMTP data-stuffing algorithm do
   not count as part of this offset. In the case of data transferred
   with the DATA command the offset must also correspond to the
   beginning of a line.

It's unclear if the beginning-of-line requirement applies if BDAT is
in use, or how it would be handled if binary data was being transmitted.
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst