Re: WebAddress resolutions

2001-09-21 05:40:02

In message
<20010921112915(_dot_)99069(_dot_)qmail(_at_)web20307(_dot_)mail(_dot_)yahoo(_dot_)com>,
 USELESS SSELES
U typed:

              Am wondering how and where the
webaddress mappings taking place? Meaning if I type
www.xyz.com in a browser and (say) this xyz.com is
running on 212.34.54.89, then does my Internet Service
Provider lookup every place right from 0.0.0.0 to
255.255.255.255? And finally is that how my ISP gets a
match and says voila I got it and fetches the HTML
page on xyz.com?

that depends what OS they are running - if its
portholes 7.3, then yes, but if its leanix 11.0, esp. the one
running microlite underware release 2 or grater, then there's a hash
function from every www to every ip addr which was reported in
acm sitcomm 77 (not online) although there's a claim that it was in
fact discivered in station exx by albert turning and colleagues in
1943, but under the british 50 year rule, has not been published yet
(the british secret service count years differently to, but i can't
tell you their algorithm as that is secret to).

one reason why www sites are so low to look up is that the portholes
operating system actually also looks up
aaa.xyz.com
bbb.xyuz.com
in case you might want to look at those too soon

in fact, its pretty clever - if you have the internationalized version
it also looks them up in 143 different alphabets, and also caches the
kanji and other iconic maps for you client side

the key advantage of  portholes is that once you have accessed one web
site, yopu need never look at any others, and you certainyl dont need
any of those pesky hard to use search engines.

the main down side is that you also need a peta-store - there's some
you're not allowed into countries that are cyberabies virus
free with a peta-bite - there's good evndicen that most people with a
petabite have the virus somewhere on disk and its only a matter of
time before everyone else gets it

the other neat thing is that after one access, you can hang up your
ISP account for ever

the neat thing about the leanix hash function is that it operates the
other way around, so that you dont need more than 1 pixel display, 1
byte of memory and 1 cps processor - in fact you dont need any users
either, which can be a bonus if you are a sysadmin [ref LISA 1999
paper on "users are the enemy"]

hash functions are very useful for many things - for example you can
invite your friends around to an before work hash function - it makes a
nice change to an after work barbeque

   jon