Re: WebAddress resolutions

2001-09-21 09:10:02
              Am wondering how and where the
webaddress mappings taking place? Meaning if I type
www.xyz.com in a browser and (say) this xyz.com is
running on 212.34.54.89, then does my Internet Service
Provider lookup every place right from 0.0.0.0 to
255.255.255.255? And finally is that how my ISP gets a
match and says voila I got it and fetches the HTML
page on xyz.com?

that depends what OS they are running - if its
portholes 7.3, then yes, but if its leanix 11.0, esp. the one
running microlite underware release 2 or grater, then there's a hash
function from every www to every ip addr which was reported in
acm sitcomm 77 (not online) although there's a claim that it was in
fact discivered in station exx by albert turning and colleagues in
1943, but under the british 50 year rule, has not been published yet
(the british secret service count years differently to, but i can't
tell you their algorithm as that is secret to).

If I'm not completely mistaken, this is good old fashion bull. It's a joke.

Domain names (www.something.xyz) are resolved using a network of DNS (Domain
Name Service) servers. There are in fact a few central servers to this
system, but they usually don't serve the crowds. This is the job of each
ISPs own DNS servers, wich are updated frequently with new entries from the
central DNSes.

These servers also contains information for reverse resolving. That is to
find out wich IPs have been pointed to by a domain. The Internet would work
fine without domain names. It would just be a bit harder to use (you'd have
to type http://64.12.50.249/ instead of http://www.cnn.com/). I belive DNS
came a long time after IP addresses. :)
--
Thor