Re: PATRIOT/USA technical problems, call to action

2001-10-10 18:10:02
Fred Baker wrote:

At 12:13 PM 10/10/2001, William Allen Simpson wrote:
Unlike CALEA, there are no provisions for reimbursing ISPs for these
expenses -- tens of thousands of dollars could bankrupt many ISPs.
This is an attack on both civil liberties and small business.

I agree that our legislators are not technologists. That said, what you
report here isn't what I heard:

The text is at http://thomas.loc.gov/  The current version at Thomas does
not include the amendments.

Well, Fred, as you noted, the amendments that were adopted in House
Judiciary have not been reported out, because the Administration doesn't
like them.  That's why you won't find them on Thomas....

There were many other amendments offered, and the Chair refused to
allow a vote, saying there could be changes between committee and the
floor without any committee review.

Meanwhile, it apparently doesn't matter what the House Judiciary did,
the Administration prefers the Senate version, and the Speaker is
holding the House version up until after the Senate acts.  The
Administration doesn't want this to go to conference committee.

That's why the folks I "especially" pointed to are all Senators.

That's why I noted "without going through the normal committee review."

Glad to see you are following this, at least to a minimal extent....
--
William Allen Simpson