Changed spam filtering for the IETF list

2001-10-11 07:50:03
As many users have noted, spam on the IETF list has been increasing, as well as other "interesting" stuff (virii et al).

The IETF secretariat has now implemented a new admission control function, which we hope will help.
The new function is as follows:

- All list subscribers have the right to post.
- All mail sent to the list that is not obviously spam, virii or similar will be manually forwarded to the list within one working day (Secretariat time). - Anyone sending mail that is forwarded under the rule above will be added to the list of people permitted to post.

A list of previous posters has been used to initialize the list of permitted posters, so most active IETF list contributors should not notice the change. The IETF postmaster (postmaster(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org) will handle any problems; this function is also being improved as part of this effort.

We hope that this change will increase the satisfaction of users of the IETF list, and contribute to a positive dialogue.

Thank you.

          Harald Tveit Alvestrand
              IETF chair