Re: Public warning: Please cease inappropriate posting

2001-10-22 06:10:02

I believe this action by Harald Alvestrand is entirely correct.

While one can never tell what someone else's actual motivations are,
Mr. Flamings actions are exactly the actions of someone whose purpose
is to reduce the effectiveness of the IETF. Many of his postings are
inflamatory with no corresponding benefit.  His "technical
contributrions" contribute nothing but confusion. They are carefully
crafted to look vaguely reasonable at first glance but any detailed
analysis shows that they do not provide any useful solutions to any
technical problems the IETF is facing and are labeled in a misleading
fashion. Anyone repeatedly posting about "IPv8", etc., to the IETF
list with no explanation when what they are referring to is not an
IANA/IETF IP version number, etc., is causing confusion.

The IETF is the most open standards organization I have ever
participated in. It leans over backwards to accomodate people. It has
already tolerated orders of magnitude more injurious postings from
Mr. Flaming than any other standards organization I am familiar with
would have allowed.

The high frequency, misleading and inflamatory content, and
repetativeness of Mr. Flamings postings have, in my opinion long
justified action by the IETF chair.

No doubt this message of mine will provoke some response implying that
I'm a ninny for whining and not just ignorning Mr. Flaming's messages,
just hit D, etc. Well, it is possible for an organizaion to bleed from
a million mosquito bites. Certainly everone can make their own
judgements on these matters. Harald Alvestrand has been selected by
the IETF community for the position where he has the burden of making
the judgement for the IETF list.  I, for one, fully support him.

Donald

cc: I have left in Mr. Flaming as a cc address for the sole reason
that many people filter there mail and kill all mail with him in an
address field so they will not be bothered by this.