RE: offlist Re: Two things bothering me (was Re: Jim Fleming's po sting privilleges have been revoked)

2001-10-26 13:50:02
Notes and comments below.

Lillian Komlossy || Site Manager || http://www.dmnews.com ||
http://www.imarketingnews.com || 212 925-7300 ext. 232 ||
mailto:lillian(_at_)dmnews(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: grenville armitage [mailto:gja(_at_)ureach(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 2:33 PM
To: Lillian Komlossy
Subject: offlist Re: Two things bothering me (was Re: Jim Fleming's
posting privilleges have been revoked)

Some of us give thanks for our freedoms by continuing
to defend our rights, including the right to engage in
discussion of, and defense of, curtailing the posting
activities of long-time trolls.

-->comment: defending your rights can be done with respect - I don't see a
lot of that going on here lately.

If you haven't been around the IETF long enough to know
Jim Fleming, please don't belittle those of us who have
actually had enough of him.

-->comment: My remarks were meant to be constructive and not intended to
belittle any one. I'm sure you did not mean to be patronise or belittle me
either when you 'classified' me as someone who has not been around the IETF
long enough? Without knowing anything about me except my name and gender of
course? I, as many other Americans, have just recently been reminded of what
is really important. If your remarks are constructive, calm and not
delivered from a high horse then you offered the respect you wish to be
treated with. I hope I did this in my original letter.

"Why can't we all just get along" ?  Because getting along
sometimes involve repairing fences. And fences are rarely
un-controversial.

-->comment: True but again you can do it different ways. And again, you do
it with a cliche - if I wanted to be offended by that, feeling 'belittled' I
could. I never said 'Why can't we all just get along?'

I have been enjoying and learning from many threads and debates on this list
and most of those threads were all written in a respectful, witty, and
constructive way. And they are achieving a lot more than just 'mending
fences'.

I suggest again - respectfully - to drop this thread and move on to more
constructive issues. This will give everyone the best idea of what this list
is all about and what the topic is.

God Bless All,
Lillian

gja

Lillian Komlossy wrote:

1. You have revoked his privileges but have not stopped this controversial
and inflammatory e-mail thread about him. Draw your own conclusions why
this
is wrong.

2. I am looking out my office window onto a place where two towers stood,
breathing smoldering rubble for over a Month and some of you are
complaining
that you are inconvenienced. Folks all this is minor, not worth getting
into
it. Jim's privileges were restricted for a period of time, let it be,
leave
it alone - let everyone (including Jim) draw their own conclusions about
it.
Respect this by not mentioning it. There is a lot of work to do, you're
all
here, give thanks and get back to work.

God Bless All,

Lillian