Re: Cable Co's view: NAT is bad because we want to charge per IP

2001-11-28 17:50:02
On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 03:05:24PM -0500, Gene Hastings wrote:
Using NAT to connect several of your own computers is one thing.
Using it to connect your neighbors and buddies is quite another. Many
ISP agreements have clauses forbidding resale, even if you don't get
anything in return.

        Getting nothing in return is not a sale.  That's why you
often have to sell something for a dolar to make it a legal "sale"
in most states (I've had to do this several times and, while IMNAL,
this is on legal advise from lawyers).  Examples, in Michigan, Kentucky,
and Georgia, where I have experience, you can not just "give away" a
car (they won't transfer the title) no matter what the condition.  The
recepient has to give you a dolar to pay you for that vehicle or it's NOT
a legal "sale".  Giving something away does NOT qualify legally as "resale".

        OTOH...  It is definitely unethical and most likely violates one
or more AUP issues.  Just don't confuse it with "resale".

Gene

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw(_at_)WittsEnd(_dot_)com
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/