Re: 128 bit IP addresses

2002-01-02 07:20:03

Hi Bill,

At 11:23 PM 1/1/02 , Bill Cunningham wrote:
I've been hearing now for 2 years about the 128 bit IP addressing system
and how important it is.  Why are we still using 32 bit IP addresses if
we need the 128 bit ones?  And if we do finally go this route, will the
128 bit IP addresses simply absorb the 32 bit addresses?

128-bit IP Addresses are one feature of IP version6 (or IPv6).
Most of us still use IP version 4 (or IPv4), with 32-bit addresses.
Most of the core IPv6 standards are at the Draft Standard level,
and we are in the early stages of commercial deployment.

To find out more about the current status of IPv6, you may want to look
in the following places:

        IETF IPv6 Working Group page (defining the standards for IPv6):

                http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipv6-charter.html

                and

                http://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng/html/ipng-main.html

        IETF Next Generation Transition Working Group page (defining
                mechanisms for transition from IPv4 to IPv6):

                http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ngtrans-charter.html

        The IPv6 Forum web page:

                http://www.ipv6forum.org/

Enjoy,