Re: FW: Carol Bertolet/LIONVILLE/WEST is out of the office.

2002-02-21 11:10:02
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:32:15 EST, "bbrennan(_at_)nbn(_dot_)net" said:
ok, I'll bite. How did this wind up in my mailbox? NAT or fate??????

Some auto-out-of-office products from major vendors don't understand that
they shouldn't reply to mailing lists, even though the networking community
has known of several heuristics for many years that do quite well:

1) Don't reply if the SMTP MAIL FROM: (usually availabe in the Return-Path:
header if you're not doing SMTP directly in an MUA) is <> or contains
the 'owner-*@' or '*-request@' strings.

2) Don't reply if your mailbox isn't listed explicitly in the To: or cc:
headers.

(And no, let's not have another "breaking the RFCs" thread here, OK? ;)

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer