Re: PPP

2002-03-09 15:00:02
That top-layer-calls-next-layer etc ad-nauseam model seems to have been one of the original ideas for how to implement a stack.

Actual current implementations do all kinds of wierd stuff, but mostly pass around accumulating collections of buffers; so the payload buffer doesn't get copied to accomodate each new header, instead the kernel has a second buffer to contain the header (and later layers can add more). What gets passed around (by way of various queues and internal plumbing schemes) is a structure of pointers to pieces of packet, which gets put together on transmission, often by the DMA engine in the device or by the device driver.

The layering is just a conceptual model for the logic of what is going on, and has no resemblance to the flow of control in a typical actual implementation. There are simple educational implementations that follow the layering fairly closely, and they are interesting to read but tend not to be practical for high performance applications.