RE: [PWE3] ATM Forum liaison

2002-03-11 14:30:10
A number of people who are on the PWE3 list (I am not one of them) attended
the last ITU-T SG 13 meeting held in February. They can provide their input.

To my knowledge nobody was mandated and no liaison statement was approved
for communication to the IETF and PWE3 WG about the outcome of ATM/MPLS
meeting results.

claude

-----Original Message-----
From: Lloyd Wood [mailto:l(_dot_)wood(_at_)eim(_dot_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk]
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 3:11 PM
To: Chip Sharp
Cc: harford(_at_)atmware(_dot_)com; pwe3(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [PWE3] ATM Forum liaison

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Chip Sharp wrote:

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:21:21 -0500
From: Chip Sharp <chsharp(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: harford(_at_)atmware(_dot_)com
Cc: pwe3(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

At 11:39 AM 3/11/2002, harford(_at_)atmware(_dot_)com wrote:

Since the IETF has no official liaison process, I want to make sure that
PWE3 members are aware of the most recent communication from the ATM
Forum.
Below is a liaison that was sent to your Chairs and Area Directors.

The ATM Forum has added an optional sequence number and length field to
our
frame format, effectively aligning it with the Fischer draft being
considered within PWE3. I would urge members who value a single industry
standard to promote Fischer as the most practical way to achieve this.  I
also understand that a frame format compatible with Fischer (but not
Brayley) is in the current draft document being considered by ITU.

Actually there are two frame formats with *equal status* (Under
Investigation) under consideration by ITU Study Group 13 Question 5.
I believe one is compatible with Fischer (contained in what is
called a draft document) and one is compatible with Brayley (in the
living list).

Therefore, it looks like the ATM Forum may be the only standards
group not considering both frame formats.

It's all in the delicate phrasing, isn't it? nicely worded, Jim.
thanks, Chip.

In the light of recent discussion of ITU-T and misrepresentation,
unintentional or otherwise, of the work of standards bodies (the
recent 'Re: Last Call: IETF and ITU-T Collaboration Guidelines to
Informational' thread on ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org) I have to ask:

is anyone here an official ITU-T representative for ITU SG-13 who can
provide an accurate precis endorsed by the ITU?

On 5 March, Scott Bradner said in that thread:

$ the reason behind this at all is that we have had cases of people
$ representing to IETF WGs that they know what is going on in an ITU-T
$ SG but it turned out that in some cases they did not know and thus
$ mislead the listeners about what was going on in the ITU-T - this
$ was meant as a way for the ITU-T management to say, in effect "he
$ knows what is going on" - this was not intended to mean that any
$ such designated person carries any more weight in IETF WG
$ deliberations than does any other individual  - but as Pete points
$ out, it can be useful to actually know what another group is or is not
doing.

...as input to decisions based on pure technical merit?

In the interim, I would urge you to ignore Jim's urgings.

L.

is not in the ATM Forum, having read through the directory that includes
http://www.atmforum.com/pages/advantages/self_declaration.html

Chip

Jim Harford
ATM Forum AIC Chair