Re: [idn] WG last call summary

2002-03-12 11:00:02
Marc Blanchet writes:
We will be sending the documents for IESG consideration for Proposed
Standard on March 11th 2002.

That's outrageous. IDNA has received strong written objections from at
least fifteen regular WG participants and _hundreds_ of other people.
IDNA will cause a tremendous amount of damage, including bounced email,
web link failures, widespread user confusion, and massive costs---much
higher than necessary---for software development and deployment.

You say that you are obliged to ignore all these objections because the
IDN WG has to _do something_. But the IETF procedures don't say ``It's
okay to make an incredibly destructive modification to the Internet
protocol suite if you have to _do something_.''

I hope that the IDN WG can settle on a safe course of action. However,
until that happens, we will have to stick to the status quo.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago