Re: 10 years and no ubiquitous security

2002-03-14 16:10:02

On Wednesday, March 13, 2002, at 06:49 , William Allen Simpson wrote:
10 years ago on Tuesday, Phil Karn sprawled out across my hotel
room bed and drew the packet header that became ESP.

Actually, that packet header wasn't directly related to ESP,
though there aren't but so many ways a security encapsulation
can be framed.

The SP3 spec, published by NIST more than 10 years ago, was the
direct predecessor to ESP.  This was noted in RFC-1827, I believe.
Credit is due to the (mostly DoD sponsored) group that came up
with SP3 long ago.  I didn't happen to be at that ad-hoc meeting
in San Diego, so I wasn't influenced by it -- and I'm the one
who wrote the ESP spec in the early 90s, initially inside the
IPng WG as an individual contribution.

I decline to comment on the other portions of your posting.

Ran
rja(_at_)extremenetworks(_dot_)com