Re: 10 years and no ubiquitous security

2002-03-16 19:10:02
"The Purple Streak (Hilarie Orman)" wrote:
Mild-mannered S. Kent is in reality SuperNoSecMan.  He adds
the essential anti-replay counter to IPsec protocols and, ...
causes people to NOT adopt them?

Actually, of course, Steve Kent did not add the counter.  It was in
swIPe, from the beginning.  It was in my drafts, from the beginning.

It was certain members of the WG who insisted we didn't need the
counter.  At least one has admitted he was wrong.  Are you ever going to
admit you were?

Anyway, when we published the first set of RFCs, I carefully documented
the need for a Replay Protection sequence number in 1995:
  "Internet Security Transform Enhancements"

This was in the old IETF tradition of posting minority positions when
the main WG disagrees.

Perhaps you missed reading it?

--
William Allen Simpson