Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

2002-03-18 11:20:02
Jeff,

  I don't think that I have seen any spam on this or the
IETF(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Mailing lists in quite a long time.  Ad I can only recall two incidences
where I have seen any spam on either list.  So I guess I am wondering
why there seems to be a perceived problem with spam on these
Mailing lists???

I've not noticed any spam on either of these lists either.   On the other
hand, I have noticed a tendancy of people to start to label arbitrary email
as spam that otherwise would not be.  Traditional metrics for defining spam
(header forging, indiscriminate mass mailings, use of third party relays,
etc.) don't seem to be understood by many these days, including the trade
press.

A previous posting asking to be removed due to the amount of spam received
(defined by this recipient as being content not interesting to them, despite
their membership on the list) is indicative of this problem.   One of our
staff when sending a message to a customer asking if we could be of any
assistance in their deployment of our software resulted in our being
reported to a spam organization simply due to an honest mistake in the
saluation, and the customer being upset that we got their name wrong.

The problem appears to be growing rather than being isolated to a few.   I
suspect that this is not the appropriate forum for a continued discussion of
this issue, so if anyone can recommend a better list, please do let me know.

Thanks and Best Regards,

-- Tim