Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

2002-03-18 14:50:03
On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:04:37 +1100, grenville armitage said:
Since cross-posters always (!) read each mailing list's charter before
sending,
it is intriguing to consider that said posters probably also stumbled across
the list's subscription method. This would presumably move the act of
subscription from the realm of "obscure knowledge" and into the realm
of "duh".

Unless of course, it's a cross-poster like me, that has an annoying tendency
to hit the 'Reply All' button,  not realizing that some of the addresses
in the CC: list are mailing lists I'm not on (Hi, Poised subscribers! ;)

Let's look at this message as an example:  If I hit "reply", it goes
only to Grenville.  If I hit "reply all", it goes to Grenville, ietf,
and poised - and I get to do some hand-trimming if I remember to do so before
hitting 'send'.  Yes, I *know* about all those "followups-to:" headers,
but (a) they're not an actual standards-track last I looked, and (b) there
wasn't one in the message I'm replying to anyhow.
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer