Re: IETF Meetings - High Registration Fees

2002-03-18 15:00:03
At 11:23 AM 3/18/02, Keith Moore wrote:
I'm an individual with a modest income who generally pays his own way
to attend IETF meetings.  I agree that the costs are too high.  However,
I'd be opposed to a scheme that charged corporations more, because then
they'd expect their word to carry more weight.  IMHO the only way to
make sure that individuals continue to be able to contribute usefully
to IETF is to treat all participants of IETF the same - regardless of
who pays for the attendance.

I'm another who pays his own way. I don't make it to all meetings, partially because of expense, partially because of time/availability constraints. I have no issue with the meeting expense part of things. I spend much more on airfare, hotel and meals than on the meeting fee. It's those other expenses that'll keep me from Yokohama.

I am active on mailing lists, contributing to or commenting on drafts, and so forth. It's entirely possible to be an active participant in the IETF without attending meetings.

Daniel Senie                                        dts(_at_)senie(_dot_)com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com