Re: IETF Meetings - High Registration Fees

2002-03-18 17:30:03
That's an interesting assertion, but it isn't true. The decline in IETF
attendance
since the economic downturn started is across the board - large companies
are
just as sensitive to meeting costs as small companies or individuals. The
whole
idea of tiered prices is based on a massive misunderstanding of the way
companies
manage expenses.

I can assure you it isn't. Have you noticed that nobody from any company has
piped up in this thread to say "oooh, no, that would be a bad idea!". I can
assure you that for large multi-nationals the difference between paying $500
for a delegate and $5000 is a drop in the proverbial ocean, especially when
it comes to standards tracking. Those companies who are whining about
economic downturn are unlikely to send anybody even at $500/head. Those that
value the IETF meetings will see a raised price as being an investment
regardless of price.

Well, all I can say is that my corner of the world at Sun Microsystems
corresponds with Brian's assessement of the situation, not yours.

I started working with the IETF back in 1990. At the time I worked for a
college, and funding issues were handled quite simply: I paid for everything
personally.

Eventually I started working for Innosoft, a small company. Innosoft paid my
expenses for attending the IETF and those of several other people as well.
AFAIK everyone who wanted to attend an IETF meeting was able to.

I started working for Sun about two years ago. Sun manages this a lot more
carefully than Innosoft ever did. And as a result not all the people I work
with at Sun who have wanted to attend the IETF have been able to. If the fees
were raised it would be even harder to get funding.

I'm not saying this is good or bad. It is just how it is. In the case of Sun at
least, the way expenses are managed isn't compatible with tiered pricing, just
as Brian said.

                                Ned