Re: I don't want to be facing 8-bit bugs in 2013

2002-03-20 15:10:03
Harald;

<mohta(_at_)necom830(_dot_)hpcl(_dot_)titech(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp> wrote:

Unicode is usable in some local context.

Agreed. Note that "some" is changing to "many" as time goes on.

Irreleant, because some contexts are not compatible.

The point here is that there can be no universal context.

There is some unicode implementaion work in local contexts.

However, the context information must be supplied out of band.

Agreed.

Then, how can you provide the information with IDN?

And, the out of band information is equivalent to "charset"
information, regardless of whether you call it "charset" or
not.

Do not agree.
for most values of what we currently have registered as "charset",  it is
not sufficient to identify the context.

That is a problem of current and past charset reviewers including you.

Therefore, depending on "charset" to identify context is not only useless,
but actively harmful.

Agreed. ISO 2022 escape sequence is the way to go.

My opinion, which I stated in RFC 1766, and have found no reason to change.

It was already denied by real world examples.

                                                Masataka Ohta