Re: [idn] Re: I don't want to be facing 8-bit bugs in 2013

2002-03-21 01:10:02
Mark;

As my mailer says;

        [Charset utf-8 unsupported, skipping...]

you should learn that Unicode is not usable in international context
of IETF.

Unicode is not usable in international context.

It would not be worth replying to these threadworn and repeated
assertions by Mr. Ohta, except that some members of this list may not
be that familiar with Unicode. Clearly Unicode is being used
successfully in a huge variety of products in international contexts.

That is not so totally untrue. There do exist some Unicode products
valuable in international contexts, because they are useful in some (or
many) local contexts.

However, as Harald and I agreed, such products need local
context information OOB to work properly.

Then, the problem is that some local contexts are mutually exclusive.

There is no instance of Unicode-based-local-character-set
internationally useful.

Some product using unicode may be usable in multiple local context,
if the context information is given OOB, and the product is valuable
in international market.

However, unicode, still, is not usable in international context unless
OOB information, which, thanks to poor charset reviewing, essentaily is
yet another charset designaiton, is attached.

                                                Masataka Ohta