Moving Towards UTF8 vs ASCII(ACE) Forever

2002-03-21 11:40:02
An underlying question we must ask ourselves from all the discussions that
have sprung up every now and then is:
Do we wish to

1. eventually move the DNS towards UTF8/16 OR
2. do we want to stay with ASCII(ACE) for the rest of our lives?

If the answer is 1. then the IDN solution should take it into concern.  If
it is 2. then perhaps the IETF should revise some of its
internationalization policies.

I can see an arguement coming that says there is no draft on this, but if we
dont even get this fundamental question figured out, how can there be a
collective or meaningful effort towards a solution that makes most sense??

Edmon

PS. Perhaps we should have a show of hands or something about the real
"DIRECTION" that PEOPLE want to see with the internationalization of the
Domain Names.