Re: Unicode is so flawed that 7 or 8 bit encoding is not an issue

2002-03-21 12:00:03
[Note: IDN WG list removed]

As you could have seen, on IETF mailing list, Harald and I have, at
least, agreed that, if you use unicode based encoding, local context
(or locale) must be carried out of band

Few will disagree (including me) that using Unicode to do localization is
almost impossible without locale context.

But I am touching on a sensitive topic about what you considered as I18N &
L10N and what the rest of the world thinks.

But, anyway, the discussion so far in IETF list is enough to deny IDN.

I am not aware there was a IETF wide last call on IDN yet.

I have found a theory to deny PKI and to explain why public key
cryptograpy is not so polular dispite the efforts of ISO, which will
destory entire business of a company or companies owing several
important TLDs.

Very interesting. Could you share the theory, or privately if you prefer?

ps: btw, what effort of ISO are you referring?

So, don't bother to say that there are so many so-called-international-
but-actuallly-local domain names registered.

Huh? Since when this was ever a factor in IETF consideration?

-James Seng