Re: I-D ACTION:draft-etal-ietf-analysis-00.txt

2002-03-31 12:10:02
On 31 Mar 2002 at 10:53 -0500, Melinda Shore allegedly wrote:
At 11:05 AM 3/30/02 -0800, Peter Deutsch wrote:
Your mileage may vary, etc but if people are taking the IETF work and
not growing it in the IETF, I personally conclude that the IETF is
failing to provide a suitable home for new ideas.

It seems to me that being "a suitable home for new ideas" and being a
place where the success of a protocol is evaluated on the basis of
deployment are mutually incompatible.

That's why we have different working groups, areas, and task forces.  So
far we have enough flexibility that we support any worthwhile effort,
even if it doesn't match the theoretical structure.

Also, a well-designed protocol may later turn out to have
unanticipated value.

One hopes!  (Now where's that Feynman quote?)

...Scott