Re: I-D ACTION:draft-etal-ietf-analysis-00.txt

2002-03-31 20:40:02
Bob Braden wrote:
Mark Adam wrote:

Ok... So I'm being a little idealistic, but this is different that just
saying "Me too" to the "We ain't makin' widgets" responses. Optimally we
should judge the work of a WG based on how well its output is accepted by
the world at large, but that's a little late in the process.

I think this leaves out a very, very important issue -- when you make
the judgment.  A successful IETF output is one that continues to be
relevant and useful for a long time, and that enables the continued
flexibility and adaptability of the Internet to the requirements 10
years down the road.  We got where we are today by taking a long
view... we need to push back against those who would let short-term
optimizations produce long-term ossification.

I agree, however I wonder if that is still possible now, in this time
where short-term imperatives dominate decision making (particularly where
networking technology is concerned).  The IETF was born in a time when
not only was it possible, it was encouraged to take the long-term view.

--gregbo